Celebrating 10 Years of Nourishing a Movement in 2013
In 2003, Sindhura Citineni and a group of students at UNC launched a social venture called Hunger Lunch. They sold affordable meals to students and staff on the campus of UNC-Chapel Hill, with$7,500 in profits funding a nutrition initiative in India the following summer. The UNC- Nourish Project impacted the lives of hundreds of mal-nourished children. This was the first Hunger Lunch out of which Nourish International and the national movement has grown. Since then Hunger Lunch as spread to several campuses and inspired a movement of students as a social innovators across 28 campuses and 14 states.
Join us in celebrating our ten-year anniversary by hosting a Hunger Lunch at your company, congregation or civic group! Every dollar raised engages a student and empowers a community around lasting impact on extreme poverty.
How it Works
- Hunger Lunch is a simple but delicious meal of rice, beans, and cornbread; representative of a typical meal for many in developing countries.
- The meal raises awareness for extreme poverty by educating and encouraging social responsibility in participants.
- Hunger Lunch has become a national movement, taking place on college campuses across the country, in businesses, homes, congregations, and civic groups.
- Hunger Lunch benefits businesses and organizations that want to make a lasting impact on extreme poverty and increase their community presence.
- There are two methods of funding a Hunger Lunch: first, the organization can choose to pay for the lunch in full, suggested at $10 per plate; second, the organization can cover the overhead cost at $4 per plate and encourage members to make a small gift that would substitute for if they had gone out to eat lunch.
Follow the Tour
Our Fall 2012 Partners included- Viget, Cisco, Intrahealth, Appia, Digital Smiths, Bandwidth, Tranzyme, North Raleigh Rotary, and many other great organizations!
Follow Nourish’s Hunger Lunch Tour around the Triangle! Will you be the next stop?
Interested in Hosting?
- Hosting a Hunger Lunch is easy – Nourish does the work for you! Just contact Kelly Phoenix at email@example.com or 919.338.2599.